Skip to content

Our History

From humble beginnings in 1880, the company’s founder Judge J. H. Edwards, began a business that has become one of the most established and respected title companies in the Rio Grande Valley.Judge Edwards was instrumental in clearing land titles in Hidalgo County. Not only did he secure data from old records and early settlers, he often traveled into Mexico to find missing heirs to the Spanish Land Grants. Judge Edwards and his family moved to Edinburg in 1910. He managed the Hidalgo County Abstract Company, which was later acquired by Judge Edwards and operated as the Hidalgo and Starr Counties Abstract Company until 1919. Judge J.H. Edwards, founder.
(Photo courtesy of the
Museum of South Texas History.)
Mrs. L.S. Edwards served as secretary of the company until 1926 when she and her sons James L. and Cecil A. Edwards formed the Edwards Abstract and Title Co., which held records of both Hidalgo and Starr counties.The first office was opened in the heart of downtown Edinburg on the corner of North Closner and West McIntyre St. and later moved to the present location at 3111 West Freddy Gonzalez located in Edinburg, TX on May 7, 2007